From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Which wireless cardbus?
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 14:31:13
1 On 19 Feb 2007, at 23:15, Mick wrote:
2 >> ...
3 >> You don't state which model of Belkin you tried, but I can assure you
4 >> that they do a "set" (USB, cardbus, PCI) of 802.11g cards that are
5 >> excellently supported by the rt2500 drivers. These are excellent, are
6 >> OSS & you can get them with `emerge rt2500`.
7 >
8 > Well, I didn't want to bore you - I think I may have already posted
9 > about my
10 > troubles with it in the past. It is a Belkin USB WiFi adaptor,
11 > Model No.
12 > K7SF5D7050A, which seems to have a RaLink chipset ...
13 >
14 > However, if you have any ideas to make my Belkin USB work again
15 > then I'll use
16 > that voucher for something else. :)
17
18 I can't comment on that, although it doesn't particularly surprise
19 me. I know the drivers for the USB RaLink chipsets are less mature
20 than those for the PCI & Cardbus cards - when I first started using
21 those (100% success on the Belkin cards under Gentoo, very easy to
22 get going) work on the BSD USB drivers was only just beginning.
23
24 >> I recommend this card, but if you're outside the UK contact in
25 >> advance regarding shipping:
26 >> <http://networkned.co.uk/Belkin_Cardbus.php>
27 >> FULL DISCLOSURE: I am involved with this supplier.
28 >
29 > Having been burned once I would rather go for something which has
30 > matured
31 > enough to be in the kernel, if possible, but thank you for the
32 > suggestion all
33 > the same.
34
35 I don't think you're going to be terribly lucky with that. I'm only
36 familiar with the 3 drivers I mentioned - and I know there's an OSS
37 driver available for an Intel chipset, too - but of those 3 only the
38 prism54 was in the main kernel last time I checked, and cards with
39 that chipset that are getting quite hard to get hold of. I have never
40 seen a prism54 cardbus card.
41
42 I appreciate your concerns, but honestly a rt2500 cardbus (or PCI)
43 card is a safe bet - these drivers are very mature. I'm guessing that
44 driver design for USB devices is more complicated &/or widely less
45 well-understood than for devices using the "more traditional" PCI or
46 cardbus busses (in fact, I think PCI & cardbus are substantially the
47 same from the computer's point-of-view). I'd be very surprised if you
48 were to plug on of these cards into your machine and `emerge rt2500
49 && modprobe rt2500 & iwconfig` failed to show it.
50
51 Stroller.
54 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list