From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] UPS and serial or USB connections
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 20:22:24
1 Michael Mol wrote:
2 > On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 2:30 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
4 >>> Am Dienstag, 18. September 2012, 04:50:30 schrieb Dale:
5 >>>
6 >>>> One would think that modern stuff would have some sort of protection.
7 >>>> Odd.
8 >>>>
9 >>> indeed. The modern stuff with protection is called 'usb'.
10 >>>
11 >>>
12 >> Well, I meant for the serial/parallel chips tho. Surely it can't be
13 >> hard to at least keep them from blowing their fuse.
14 > If it's TTL, no problem. If it's CMOS, it requires extra work (and
15 > cost) in an environment where every penny off of a component is
16 > important. Point is, RS-232 and IEEE-1284 weren't designed for
17 > hotplug, and plug/unplug events are very, very rare. Manufacturers are
18 > under no obligation to extend support beyond spec, and it doesn't make
19 > sense for them to, given that USB is available where it's necessary.
20 >
21 > USB, on the other hand, was explicitly designed to handle hotplug. It
22 > even shows in comparison to the connectors it replaces; DB-25, DB-9
23 > and Centronix connectors typiclaly have explicit mechanisms to retain
24 > devices and prevent them from accidentally unplugging. DB-25 and DB-9
25 > connectors didn't originally even come with thumbscrews; I've still
26 > got some cables laying around that require the use of a small
27 > screwdriver. No such manual step with USB, as it's an expected event.
30 I know it would take extra work but one would think that some company
31 would do it then everyone else will follow. I'm not saying the
32 communication part should work when you plug up something, just that it
33 shouldn't burn out a chip so that it never works again. It should at
34 least have some forgiveness to the occasional accident of unplugging a
35 cable.
36
37 Oh well, me thinking it isn't going to change it. ;-)
38
39 Dale
40
44 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!