From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] UPS and serial or USB connections
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 18:55:31
1 On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 2:30 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
3 >> Am Dienstag, 18. September 2012, 04:50:30 schrieb Dale:
4 >>
5 >>> One would think that modern stuff would have some sort of protection.
6 >>> Odd.
7 >>>
8 >> indeed. The modern stuff with protection is called 'usb'.
12 > Well, I meant for the serial/parallel chips tho. Surely it can't be
13 > hard to at least keep them from blowing their fuse.
14
15 If it's TTL, no problem. If it's CMOS, it requires extra work (and
16 cost) in an environment where every penny off of a component is
17 important. Point is, RS-232 and IEEE-1284 weren't designed for
18 hotplug, and plug/unplug events are very, very rare. Manufacturers are
19 under no obligation to extend support beyond spec, and it doesn't make
20 sense for them to, given that USB is available where it's necessary.
21
22 USB, on the other hand, was explicitly designed to handle hotplug. It
23 even shows in comparison to the connectors it replaces; DB-25, DB-9
24 and Centronix connectors typiclaly have explicit mechanisms to retain
25 devices and prevent them from accidentally unplugging. DB-25 and DB-9
26 connectors didn't originally even come with thumbscrews; I've still
27 got some cables laying around that require the use of a small
28 screwdriver. No such manual step with USB, as it's an expected event.
31 :wq