From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Seagate ST8000NM0065 PMR or SMR plus NAS SAS SATA question
Date: Sun, 10 May 2020 08:03:22
1 Hi Michael,
2
3 I think it is too.  Your link shows about what the link I was looking at
4 does.
5
6 I did research the SATA and SAS connector issue again.  Seagate has a
7 picture of both for comparison and the drive I was looking at is a SAS
8 drive.  When I did more research, it seems you can connect a SATA drive
9 to SAS but not a SAS drive to SATA, unless that has changed since the
10 site I found posted about it.  Either way, while it does seem to be PMR,
11 I don't want to chance it not working since it is a SAS drive.  I need
12 to weed out SAS type drives unless I want to buy a SAS drive controller
13 card as well, to be certain it will work.  For those curious, this is a
14 link that shows a picture.  One has to look closely because at a glance,
15 they look a LOT alike.
16
17 https://www.seagate.com/support/kb/connecting-sata-drive-to-sas-controller-006170en/
20 SATA drives may be plugged into SAS controllers.
21
22 SAS drives cannot be plugged into SATA controllers.
25 Back to digging and waiting for a good deal.
26
27 Thanks much for the help.  :-D
28
29 Dale
30
35 Michael wrote:
36 > According to this URL this drive claims to use perpendicular recording, so it
37 > is probably a PMR drive.
38 >
39 > https://www.disctech.com/Seagate-ST8000NM0045-8TB-SATA-Hard-Drive
40 >
41 > This finding is reinforced in this URL:
42 >
43 > https://www.disctech.com/Seagate-ST8000NM0045-8TB-SATA-Hard-Drive