From: lee <lee@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] replacement for ftp?
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2017 01:24:03
1 "Poison BL." <poisonbl@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > On Sat, Apr 29, 2017 at 3:24 PM, lee <lee@××××××××.de> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> writes:
6 >>
7 >> > On Tuesday 25 Apr 2017 16:45:37 Alan McKinnon wrote:
8 >> >> On 25/04/2017 16:29, lee wrote:
9 >> >> > Hi,
10 >> >> >
11 >> >> > since the usage of FTP seems to be declining, what is a replacement
12 >> >> > which is at least as good as FTP?
13 >> >> >
14 >> >> > I'm aware that there's webdav, but that's very awkward to use and
15 >> >> > missing features.
16 >> >>
17 >> >> Why not stick with ftp?
18 >> >> Or, put another way, why do you feel you need to use something else?
19 >> >>
20 >> >> There's always dropbox
21 >> >
22 >> >
23 >> > Invariably all web hosting ISPs offer ftp(s) for file upload/download.
24 >> If you
25 >> > pay a bit more you should be able to get ssh/scp/sftp too. Indeed, many
26 >> ISPs
27 >> > throw in scp/sftp access as part of their basic package.
28 >> >
29 >> > Webdav(s) offers the same basic upload/download functionality, so I am
30 >> not
31 >> > sure what you find awkward about it, although I'd rather use lftp
32 >> instead of
33 >> > cadaver any day. ;-)
34 >> >
35 >> > As Alan mentioned, with JavaScript'ed web pages these days there are many
36 >> > webapp'ed ISP offerings like Dropbox and friends.
37 >> >
38 >> > What is the use case you have in mind?
39 >>
40 >> transferring large amounts of data and automatization in processing at
41 >> least some of it, without involving a 3rd party
42 >>
43 >> "Large amounts" can be "small" like 100MB --- or over 50k files in 12GB,
44 >> or even more. The mirror feature of lftp is extremely useful for such
45 >> things.
46 >>
47 >> I wouldn't ever want having to mess around with web pages to figure out
48 >> how to do this. Ftp is plain and simple. So you see why I'm explicitly
49 >> asking for a replacement which is at least as good as ftp.
52 >> --
53 >> "Didn't work" is an error.
56 > Half petabyte datasets aren't really something I'd personally *ever* trust
57 > ftp with in the first place.
58
59 Why not? (12GB are nowhere close to half a petabyte ...)
60
61 > That said, it depends entirely on the network
62 > you're working with. Are you pushing this data in/out of the network your
63 > machines live in, or are you working primarily internally? If internal,
64 > what're the network side capabilities you have? Since you're likely already
65 > using something on the order of CEPH or Gluster to back the datasets where
66 > they sit, just working with it all across network from that storage would
67 > be my first instinct.
68
69 The data would come in from suppliers. There isn't really anything
70 going on atm but fetching data once a month which can be like 100MB or
71 12GB or more. That's because ppl don't use ftp ...
72
73 > How often does it need moved in/out of your facility, and is there no way
74 > to break up the processing into smaller chunks than a 0.6PB mass of files?
75 > Distribute out the smaller pieces with rsync, scp, or the like, operate on
76 > them, and pull back in the results, rather than trying to shift around the
77 > entire set. There's a reason Amazon will send a physical truck to a site to
78 > import large datasets into glacier... ;)
79
80 Amazon has trucks? Perhaps they do in other countries. Here, amazon is
81 just another web shop. They might have some delivery vans, but I've
82 never seen one, so I doubt it. And why would anyone give them their
83 data? There's no telling what they would do with it.
87 "Didn't work" is an error.