From: "Poison BL." <poisonbl@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] replacement for ftp?
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2017 22:07:58
1 On Sat, Apr 29, 2017 at 3:24 PM, lee <lee@××××××××.de> wrote:
2
3 > Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> writes:
4 >
5 > > On Tuesday 25 Apr 2017 16:45:37 Alan McKinnon wrote:
6 > >> On 25/04/2017 16:29, lee wrote:
7 > >> > Hi,
8 > >> >
9 > >> > since the usage of FTP seems to be declining, what is a replacement
10 > >> > which is at least as good as FTP?
11 > >> >
12 > >> > I'm aware that there's webdav, but that's very awkward to use and
13 > >> > missing features.
14 > >>
15 > >> Why not stick with ftp?
16 > >> Or, put another way, why do you feel you need to use something else?
17 > >>
18 > >> There's always dropbox
21 > > Invariably all web hosting ISPs offer ftp(s) for file upload/download.
22 > If you
23 > > pay a bit more you should be able to get ssh/scp/sftp too. Indeed, many
24 > ISPs
25 > > throw in scp/sftp access as part of their basic package.
26 > >
27 > > Webdav(s) offers the same basic upload/download functionality, so I am
28 > not
29 > > sure what you find awkward about it, although I'd rather use lftp
30 > instead of
31 > > cadaver any day. ;-)
32 > >
33 > > As Alan mentioned, with JavaScript'ed web pages these days there are many
34 > > webapp'ed ISP offerings like Dropbox and friends.
35 > >
36 > > What is the use case you have in mind?
37 >
38 > transferring large amounts of data and automatization in processing at
39 > least some of it, without involving a 3rd party
40 >
41 > "Large amounts" can be "small" like 100MB --- or over 50k files in 12GB,
42 > or even more. The mirror feature of lftp is extremely useful for such
43 > things.
44 >
45 > I wouldn't ever want having to mess around with web pages to figure out
46 > how to do this. Ftp is plain and simple. So you see why I'm explicitly
47 > asking for a replacement which is at least as good as ftp.
50 > --
51 > "Didn't work" is an error.
54 Half petabyte datasets aren't really something I'd personally *ever* trust
55 ftp with in the first place. That said, it depends entirely on the network
56 you're working with. Are you pushing this data in/out of the network your
57 machines live in, or are you working primarily internally? If internal,
58 what're the network side capabilities you have? Since you're likely already
59 using something on the order of CEPH or Gluster to back the datasets where
60 they sit, just working with it all across network from that storage would
61 be my first instinct.
62
63 How often does it need moved in/out of your facility, and is there no way
64 to break up the processing into smaller chunks than a 0.6PB mass of files?
65 Distribute out the smaller pieces with rsync, scp, or the like, operate on
66 them, and pull back in the results, rather than trying to shift around the
67 entire set. There's a reason Amazon will send a physical truck to a site to
68 import large datasets into glacier... ;)
71 Poison [BLX]
72 Joshua M. Murphy