From: lee <lee@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] replacement for ftp?
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2017 20:39:57
1 Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > On Tuesday 25 Apr 2017 16:45:37 Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 >> On 25/04/2017 16:29, lee wrote:
5 >> > Hi,
6 >> >
7 >> > since the usage of FTP seems to be declining, what is a replacement
8 >> > which is at least as good as FTP?
9 >> >
10 >> > I'm aware that there's webdav, but that's very awkward to use and
11 >> > missing features.
12 >>
13 >> Why not stick with ftp?
14 >> Or, put another way, why do you feel you need to use something else?
15 >>
16 >> There's always dropbox
19 > Invariably all web hosting ISPs offer ftp(s) for file upload/download. If you
20 > pay a bit more you should be able to get ssh/scp/sftp too. Indeed, many ISPs
21 > throw in scp/sftp access as part of their basic package.
22 >
23 > Webdav(s) offers the same basic upload/download functionality, so I am not
24 > sure what you find awkward about it, although I'd rather use lftp instead of
25 > cadaver any day. ;-)
26 >
27 > As Alan mentioned, with JavaScript'ed web pages these days there are many
28 > webapp'ed ISP offerings like Dropbox and friends.
29 >
30 > What is the use case you have in mind?
31
32 transferring large amounts of data and automatization in processing at
33 least some of it, without involving a 3rd party
34
35 "Large amounts" can be "small" like 100MB --- or over 50k files in 12GB,
36 or even more. The mirror feature of lftp is extremely useful for such
37 things.
38
39 I wouldn't ever want having to mess around with web pages to figure out
40 how to do this. Ftp is plain and simple. So you see why I'm explicitly
41 asking for a replacement which is at least as good as ftp.
45 "Didn't work" is an error.