From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Systemd upower
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2014 19:31:50
1 On Fri, Jun 6, 2014 at 3:13 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > I am mostly happy with openrc and therefore have no reason to move to the
4 > systemd monoculture, unless gentoo falls in line with Debian et al. and leaves
5 > me no choice.
8 I don't really see that happening anytime soon - it will be more
9 likely to become an issue for the more complex desktop environments
10 (Gnome is already going this way - KDE may very well go this way
11 later). Historically they're the first packages to require things
12 like HAL, udev, dbus, pulseaudio, etc (and on Gentoo the maintainers
13 tend to do a good job of minimizing dependencies).
14
15 I think many will switch to systemd anyway, simply because that is the
16 way the wind is blowing and it does have some benefits depending on
17 your situation (but so do a number of other configurations). I tend
18 to use it by default on new installs, and anytime I find myself
19 tweaking my monit rules I keep bumping up migrating entirely to
20 systemd a little higher on my to-do list.
21
22 Rich