From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Systemd upower
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2014 19:13:49
1 On Friday 06 Jun 2014 12:18:09 Rich Freeman wrote:
2
3 > That would be udev. It has been around long before systemd, and you
4 > must have missed the huge flamewar when they renamed it to
5 > systemd-udevd. Maybe we'll see "java" renamed to
6 > "java-by-oracle-with-ask-toolbar" next. :)
7
8 TBH I wouldn't be surprised. At least java offers a choice of avoiding it.
9 ;-)
12 > If you ever migrate to systemd you really just need to set USE=systemd
13 > and install systemd. Portage will swap out your udev in the process,
14 > though nothing there will really change as systemd and udev install
15 > the same udev components. There is a guide for installing systemd
16 > that you should follow which gets into all the details.
17
18 I didn't miss the flamewar. Actually I recall joining in the fun and posting
19 the odd message about systemd. I know that I could use eudev or systemd-udev
20 (or even mdev as kindly shared in this list by Walter).
21
22 I am mostly happy with openrc and therefore have no reason to move to the
23 systemd monoculture, unless gentoo falls in line with Debian et al. and leaves
24 me no choice.
27 Regards,
28 Mick