From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Systemd upower
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2014 11:18:16
1 On Fri, Jun 6, 2014 at 1:46 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Friday 06 Jun 2014 00:15:02 Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 >>
4 >> I bet you have quite a lot of systemd components lurking in the background
5 >> though, ready to take over the world the next time you aren't looking :-)
6 >
7 > Ha! I can already see this one:
8 >
9 > 338 ? Ss 0:00 /lib/systemd/systemd-udevd --daemon
10 >
11 > I have set USE="-systemd", but if/when Gentoo migrates to systemd as the
12 > default startup I will probably have to remove it and then learn how to use
13 > systemd.
14
15 That would be udev. It has been around long before systemd, and you
16 must have missed the huge flamewar when they renamed it to
17 systemd-udevd. Maybe we'll see "java" renamed to
18 "java-by-oracle-with-ask-toolbar" next. :)
19
20 If you ever migrate to systemd you really just need to set USE=systemd
21 and install systemd. Portage will swap out your udev in the process,
22 though nothing there will really change as systemd and udev install
23 the same udev components. There is a guide for installing systemd
24 that you should follow which gets into all the details.
25
26 Rich