From: Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Packages being Re-emerged after portage update
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 15:17:46
1 On Mon, Aug 21, 2006 at 03:51:47PM +0200, Penguin Lover Alan Mckinnon squawked:
2 > On Mon, 2006-08-21 at 13:21 +0100, Graham Murray wrote:
3 > > Following a portage update/sync and running 'emerge -auDvN world',
4 > > packages sometimes show with 'R' but without any yellow or % USE flags
5 > > shown. I assume that this is because a USE flag has been removed from
6 > > either the ebuild or an eclass used by the ebuild. If this is correct,
7 > > it would be nice if it was to show which USE flag(s) are no longer
8 > > used.
9 >
10 > Now there's an idea, why didn't I think of that? Submit it as a feature
11 > request, I'll give you a "me too!" vote
12
13 That would be a neat idea. But I don't think that's what the OP
14 described. Packages shown with R implies it is being re-compiled.
15 yellow or % USE flags are new ones. If you have already installed the
16 package once, the USE flags cannot be new ;)
17
18 I would think that if IUSE changed in an ebuild, that would warrant a
19 version bump, but I don't know the dev's policy on that.
20
21 Most likely those packages are being re-merged because of a changed
22 USE flag on your configuration: does it have something green or
23 followed by *? That means a USE flag that changed since the last
24 install.
25
26 HTH,
27
28 W
29 --
30 "Fortunately, this is where we stop, for the equations of motion are 2nd order.
31 If it were 5th order you'd all probably switch to biology."
32 ~DeathMech, S. Sondhi. P-town PHY 205
33 Sortir en Pantoufles: up 1 day, 20:03
34 --
35 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list