From: sean <tech.junk@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Music Retrieval
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 02:11:27
1 Dan Farrell wrote:
2 > On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 14:01:08 -0400
5 >> I was only trying out Amarok.
6 >
7 > What did you think? I thought it was super cool, except it's resource
8 > utilization is so high i don't run it anymore if I can avoid.
9
10 I thought it looked interesting, but much more then I really need.
11 Took a while for playback getting started when I put a music CD in the
12 player.
13 Like the capabilities of Internet radio, played with a bit, before removal.
14
15 >> I suspect they aren't sending the information via icmp, so just the
16 >> fact that the server is "pingable" really doesn't provide useful
17 >> information in this particular case.
18 >
19 > yeah, but it is a lot more likely that the server would be down than
20 > that it's just misconfigured. servers go down all the time; they are
21 > generally seldom administered. so it seems to me a ping is a good
22 > first step in testing access to these servers. im guessing CDDB does
23 > use IP, so if icmp can get through, so can tcp (udp,or any other
24 > protocols encapsulated in ip).
25
26 Audacious works fine on info retrieval, Amarok only worked a short bit,
27 even when both installed together.
28 Still tend to think that something was not right when the package was
29 emerged.
30 Anyway, I will stick with Audacious for now.
31 --
32 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list