From: Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Music Retrieval
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2007 18:23:01
1 On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 14:01:08 -0400
2 sean <tech.junk@×××××××.net> wrote:
3
4 > I was only trying out Amarok.
5
6 What did you think? I thought it was super cool, except it's resource
7 utilization is so high i don't run it anymore if I can avoid.
8
9 audacious seems almost completely better to me
10
11 > I suspect they aren't sending the information via icmp, so just the
12 > fact that the server is "pingable" really doesn't provide useful
13 > information in this particular case.
14
15 yeah, but it is a lot more likely that the server would be down than
16 that it's just misconfigured. servers go down all the time; they are
17 generally seldom administered. so it seems to me a ping is a good
18 first step in testing access to these servers. im guessing CDDB does
19 use IP, so if icmp can get through, so can tcp (udp,or any other
20 protocols encapsulated in ip).
21 --
22 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list