From: Julian Simioni <spectre256@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Sony Viao Vista and Gentoo
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 17:30:24
1 On 7/19/07, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > I seem to have an adventure every time I set up a dual boot
5 > laptop with Windows and Gentoo.
8 > The last time I found out that HP will ship you an OEM install
9 > CD so after formatting the hard drive (deleting the windows
10 > hidden partition) you can put windows on any partition you want
11 > and not have the MS running partition conditioning on the linux
12 > and grub sectors. Grub is the bootloader/manager. I do not
13 > trust MS, but, we still have critical windows software we
14 > have to use from time to time.
17 > Sony does not offer such a OEM CD. They say I can purchase
18 > the Vista CD at retail prices (not fond of this option).
19 > Sony does purport to have a good web site for individual device
20 > drivers at esupport.sony.com, although I have not used it (yet).
21 > Sony also said that XP will run on this new VIAO
22 > (model PCG-384L) laptop. I not so sure Vista is better than
23 > XP.
24 >
25 > I want grub as the bootloader. Right now my best option seems to
26 > be: purchase a copy of vista or XP from the local university ($30)
27 > and install it on a new partition and use Grub as the bootloader.
28 > Install Gentoo too.
31 > Have I missed anything? Any other comments or insight is most
32 > welcome.
35 > James
36 >
37 > --
38 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
39
40 Depending on what software you need to run, running Windows in VMware
41 can work quite well. I assume that Sony gave you a restore disc that
42 will erase everything and restore your computer to its original state.
43 You MAY be able to use this disc to install windows on a VMware
44 virtual machine. However I have a feeling the restore disc will not be
45 happy about installing in an environment that does not match the
46 hardware of your laptop. It's worth a shot though.
47
48 Julian
49 --
50 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list