From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] rsync for backup, can anybody help
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 19:18:42
1 On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 18:07:38 +0000, Paul Stear wrote:
2
3 > > --one-file-system
4 >
5 > Still not sure what the above will produce, I didn't find the man page
6 > very readable. Take sys for example, if it is saying that the directory
7 > would be created, would I still need to exclude everything under it?.
8
9 The /sys mount point is on the same filesystem as /, so it will be
10 included, but the contents are no a separate (virtual) filesystem, so
11 they won't be copied. The same goes for /proc /dev and removable devices
12 mounted under /mnt and /media. It also applies to your backup drive,
13 which you need to exclude, and /home, which you don't. So you'll need to
14 backup /home, and any other partitions you need, separately.
15
16 I prefer to keep backups of the OS and user data separate anyway, so this
17 suits me.
21 Neil Bothwick
22
23 Due to inflation, all clouds will now be lined with zinc.