From: Ryan Tandy <tarpman@×××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Fw: [gentoo-user] Whole lotta minimal
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 00:28:41
1 Grant wrote:
2 >> > Can someone explain the great minimal breakout happening in portage or
3 >> > point me toward a link? Is USE="minimal" in make.conf the kind of
4 >> > thing you should do if you don't have a specific reason not to, or the
5 >> > kind of thing you shouldn't do unless you have a specific reason to.
6 >> >
7 >> > - Grant
8 >> The second one, but I can't come up with any possible reason for doing
9 >> so. The actual problem is that the flag has no 'real' global meaning,
10 >> which means that it might turn off some 'unnecessary' features in one
11 >> application and turn off one of the most useful in another.
12 >>
13 >> So don't gamble with it. :)
14 >
15 > Ok, good to know. Can anyone report any packages they prefer to run
16 > with USE="minimal" ?
17 >
18 > - Grant
19
20 app-editors/vim: I already know how to use vim, so I don't need
21 vimtutor, and I can live without help files installed locally
22 net-misc/dhcp: I get my DHCP server from a different package, so no
23 point building dhcpd
24 sys-libs/ncurses: don't want a zillion obscure terminal types installed
25 in terminfo that I've never heard of
26
27 I wouldn't put minimal in make.conf - it's too easy to trip over.
28 --
29 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list