From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Simple SMTP to cmd-line MTA relay?
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2018 18:57:23
1 On 01/19/2018 11:38 AM, Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > I have a /usr/bin/sendmail emulator that transfers mail to an MTA that
3 > will then worry about delivery. I need an SMTP server that will relay
4 > incoming mail by using that existing command-line utility.
8 > I need something that accepts mail via SMTP (with SSL and AUTH support),
9 > and then relays each received message by invoking a command line utilty
10 > that has the same API as /usr/bin/sendmail.
11
12 You want (what Sendmail calls) a custom mailer.
13
14 > There is no local delivery and no acceptance of mail other than via SMTP.
15
16 That's probably mostly immaterial. Aside from the fact that you would
17 not add those features if you were write a custom SMTP gateway. Most
18 MTAs will have that, but it can be ignored.
19
20 > I would very much prefer that there is no queueing: the smtp server
21 > should not acknowlege acceptance of the message until the smtp server
22 > has invoked /usr/bin/sendmail and it has returned success.
23
24 That's possible. But it does add some additional constraints. It also
25 means that traditional MTAs likely won't operate the way that you want
26 this to.
27
28 Have you tried putting ssltunnel (or the likes) in front of your
29 existing SMTP server to see if it (they) can handle STARTTLS for you? -
30 Is it possible to augment your existing solution without needing to
31 replace it?
32
33 Also, this sounds use case specific enough that I would consider going
34 back to the person maintaining the scrip SMTP server that you're
35 currently using and try to fix it.
40 Grant. . . .
41 unix || die

smime.p7s application/pkcs7-signature