From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Simple SMTP to cmd-line MTA relay?
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2018 19:50:38
1 On 2018-01-19, Grant Taylor <gtaylor@××××××××××××××.net> wrote:
2 > On 01/19/2018 11:38 AM, Grant Edwards wrote:
3 >
4 >> I have a /usr/bin/sendmail emulator that transfers mail to an MTA
5 >> that will then worry about delivery. I need an SMTP server that
6 >> will relay incoming mail by using that existing command-line
7 >> utility.
8 > …
9 >> I need something that accepts mail via SMTP (with SSL and AUTH
10 >> support), and then relays each received message by invoking a
11 >> command line utilty that has the same API as /usr/bin/sendmail.
12 >
13 > You want (what Sendmail calls) a custom mailer.
14
15 Yep, and it looks like the Postfix equivalent is a custom pipe
16 transport. Once you know what phrases to google for, it's a lot
17 easier. :)
18
19 >> I would very much prefer that there is no queueing: the smtp server
20 >> should not acknowlege acceptance of the message until the smtp
21 >> server has invoked /usr/bin/sendmail and it has returned success.
22 >
23 > That's possible. But it does add some additional constraints. It
24 > also means that traditional MTAs likely won't operate the way that
25 > you want this to.
26
27 I could live with queueing/retrying as long as the eventual failures
28 generated messages that are sent back to the sender. Those failure
29 messages would need to be sent via a normal SMTP smarthost/relayhost
30 (with AUTH) and not via the custom mailer.
31
32 > Have you tried putting ssltunnel (or the likes) in front of your
33 > existing SMTP server to see if it (they) can handle STARTTLS for
34 > you? - Is it possible to augment your existing solution without
35 > needing to replace it?
36
37 Yes, I've been thinking about that. I think I'll try that first -- if
38 my understanding of the failure mode is correct, it should work.
39
40 > Also, this sounds use case specific enough that I would consider
41 > going back to the person maintaining the scrip SMTP server that
42 > you're currently using and try to fix it.
43
44 I wrote the server I'm using now, but it uses somebody else's snmpd
45 module, and that's where the SSL breakage is. I've filed a bug, and
46 I've been doing some reading toward attempting a fix, but it looks
47 like it might be a bit hairy: it involves Python's asyncore/asynchat
48 framework (and process pools). What's missing is handling for ssl
49 "want read" and "want write" exceptions.
52 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! FEELINGS are cascading
53 at over me!!!
54 gmail.com