From: Kevin Chadwick <ma1l1ists@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Anyone switched to eudev yet?
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 00:12:35
1 On Fri, 21 Dec 2012 05:46:33 +0800
2 Mark David Dumlao <madumlao@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > > A concensus would be good. A right consensus is more likely to get a
6 > > consensus. This has no bearing on the matters at hand.
7 >
8 > /usr as the default prefix for installed packages is the "consensus"
9 > of the vast majority of packages out there. Why do you think this has
10 > no bearing on their consideration?
11
12 I'm just pointing out that despite what many seem to state there are
13 losses and unclear/non forth coming positive reasons or real benefits
14 to the current apparently to be imposed or your doomed "consensus" of
15 consolidating data. Once your at multi-user the whole filesystem is one
16 for all intensive purposes anyway and so much of what you have said is
17 misleading. It really shouldn't be a difficult problem to fix, it is
18 just data after all.
19
20 I certainly don't expect linux to solve these management problems,
21 quite the opposite in fact but I can hope. I am just glad eudev is
22 removing some of the excuse to ignore and quieten complaints that may
23 be the real motivation to allow changes later that don't break
24 anything or cause too loud screams, being the rules of the kernel
25 devs before allowing more radical changes. There are a few indicators
26 that lend credence to this possibility.
27
28 What is even more encouraging is eudevs keen eye on unneccesary
29 complexity and increased potential for bugs and unexpected code pull
30 in at the very core of the early boot process.
31
32 Stability and security features or design is never missed until it's too
33 late and then lots is spent on ineffective band aids.