From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Hello
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2006 14:58:57
1 "A.R.S. KA9QLQ Alvin Koffman" <alvin_ka9qlq@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > Will the dvd have a ton of stuff? I see the live cd is only 200 meg, that
4 > seems kinda small. Be nice to see xvkbd in it for people who can't use
5 > their hands well.
6 > Just wondering.
7 > Alvin
8
9 In gentoo the install cds are not a full on snapshot of all
10 installable stuff.
11 They contain the basic system in a few different configurations called
12 stages. Current practice I believe is to use stage-3 even though
13 others may be there.
14
15 You are expected to have a working basic install first then you can
16 get the portage tree (all the goodies you are asking about) installed
17 and updated fairly effortlessly.
18
19 Installation is well covered on gentoo.org under a documentation link
20 with Installation in the title (don't remember off hand exact name)
21 Browse thru that a bit and you'll have an idea how to do it.
22
23 Its not the same as binary distributions like Fedora, mandrake etc.
24 There are no ready made packages to just stick in other than the base
25 install (stage-3). Every thing is compiled on gentoo. But it is
26 automated and pretty easy to follow.
27
28 Some things you may want to install like a full KDE install can take a
29 very long time to compile... so be warned.
32 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list