From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Switching to hardened
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 10:49:55
1 Dan Farrell writes:
2
3 > Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org> wrote:
4 > > I want to harden the gentoo running on my little server, but I'm a
5 > > little worried about possible problems. Like, services not coming up
6 > > when rebooting after an emerge -e world. Do you see any possibility
7 > > for that?
8 >
9 > Absolutely. These problems can be overcome with a little attention,
10 > but outdated config files that were not updated with dispatch-conf or
11 > etc-update might not work with newer versions of software.
12
13 Sure. But the system is up to date, emerge -uN world gives nothing. It's
14 only the re-compiling of everything with a hardened gcc that worries me a
15 little. If something might go wrong there, I would wait with re-compiling
16 until I know I have physical access to the machine for a while, while
17 most of the time I am away some 100 km from it.
18
19 I must admit that I should know more about the hardened stuff, but I
20 thought I'd start with the preparations. Configuring things like Pax
21 would come later, when emerge -e world has finished on this slow machine
22 (and when I have read all the howtos).
23
24 Wonko
25 --
26 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list