From: Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Switching to hardened
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 21:17:33
1 On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 11:49:48 +0100
2 Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org> wrote:
3
4 > Dan Farrell writes:
5 >
6 > > Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org> wrote:
7 > > > I want to harden the gentoo running on my little server, but I'm a
8 > > > little worried about possible problems. Like, services not coming
9 > > > up when rebooting after an emerge -e world. Do you see any
10 > > > possibility for that?
11 > >
12 > > Absolutely. These problems can be overcome with a little attention,
13 > > but outdated config files that were not updated with dispatch-conf
14 > > or etc-update might not work with newer versions of software.
15 >
16 > Sure. But the system is up to date, emerge -uN world gives nothing.
17 > It's only the re-compiling of everything with a hardened gcc that
18 > worries me a little. If something might go wrong there, I would wait
19 > with re-compiling until I know I have physical access to the machine
20 > for a while, while most of the time I am away some 100 km from it.
21 >
22 > I must admit that I should know more about the hardened stuff, but I
23 > thought I'd start with the preparations. Configuring things like Pax
24 > would come later, when emerge -e world has finished on this slow
25 > machine (and when I have read all the howtos).
26 >
27 > Wonko
28
29 You might consider building packages but not installing them -- I think
30 could use --buildpkgonly (aka -B) to achieve this end. If the world
31 emerge with a -B flag finishes successfully, I think that means all
32 packages were built and you are ready to emerge world with --usepkgonly
33 (-K) without having to worry about build-time issues that could cause
34 conflicting packages on the system.
37 But what does everyone else think?
38 --
39 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list