From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Emerge
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2016 16:20:25
1 Am 16.04.2016 um 16:26 schrieb Alan Grimes:
2 > Mick wrote:
3 >> Hello Mr Grimes,
4 >>
5 >> I see you still have trouble dealing with your rage issues.
6 >>
7 >> I recommend you seek professional help about that.
8 >> Nah! Let the man vent. Gentoo is a particularly effective (meta)distro for
9 >> this purpose too. It will invariably do *exactly* what you instruct it,
10 >> although this comes with no guarantee this will be what wanted it to do.
11 >>
12 >> It forces you to learn through practice. ;-)
13 > No, not in this case.
14 > Emerge is clearly looking for any tenible excuse not to do anything
15 > whatsoever, and will not do anything at all if any such excuse exists.
16 >
17 > Six months ago, it wasn't like this. It would generally plow ahead and
18 > start compiling the shit you asked it to. This WOULD sometimes cause
19 > problems, which could affect multi-user systems and server situations,
20 > but on my desktop, all of these problems would go away by the end of the
21 > update list and 95% of the time, revdep-rebuild wouldn't have anything
22 > to do.
23 >
24 > And then some pinhead got an idea that you could verify the workingness
25 > of every package by spending twenty minutes of cpu time examining
26 > ebuilds....
27 >
28 > This could work, (given 20 minutes) almost, if you set --backtrack=30.
29 > However, not having this set by default is a wonderful opportunity to
30 > annoy the crap out of the user and such opportunities are never to be
31 > passed up. NEVER!!
34 you do stupid things and then complain that the system does not work.
35
36 Why don't you stop doing stupid things?
37
38 That said, C 1.0 blocks A 1.0 but updating to C 2.0 would solve it, does
39 happen, even if you do not act retarded, BUT those instances are usually
40 easy to solve.
41
42 Instead of letting portage hang to dry and ranting on this ml, smart
43 people just emerge -u C and then go on with the rest of the updates.
44 Wow, that was hard. I am sweating all over. Maybe I should lay down for
45 a while. After a long shower.