From: John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] how to prevent portage from installing masked package
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2018 04:20:39
1 On Sat, 06 Oct 2018 19:11:40 -0400,
2 Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >
4 > On Sat, Oct 6, 2018 at 4:29 PM John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com> wrote:
5 > >
6 > > On Sat, 06 Oct 2018 14:55:53 -0400,
7 > > Rich Freeman wrote:
8 > > >
9 > > > On Sat, Oct 6, 2018 at 2:04 PM John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com> wrote:
10 > > > >
11 > > > > So, I have not been able to figure this out, it did not abort and
12 > > > > wants to install the masked package, so hear is the whole output ---
13 > > > > thanks for all your help.
14 > > > >
15 > > >
16 > > > What is the actual package.mask set to? Does the same mask cover both
17 > > > the installed and upgraded version of gtk+? It seems odd to me that
18 > > > emerge would even offer the option to continue if a package was
19 > > > masked. You might want to check with the portage team.
20 > >
21 > > The line in my /etc/portage/package.mask says
22 > > >x11-libs/gtk+-3.22.30
23 >
24 > Are you sure you don't have it also unmasked in package.unmask or similar?
25 >
26 > It looks like the version you already have installed is masked. So,
27 > perhaps portage doesn't consider upgrading from an already-installed
28 > masked version to a newer masked version a problem.
31 > > How do I get in touch with the portage team?
32 >
33 > Well, aside from pinging on IRC you could file a bug. I'm not sure if
34 > it is behaving as expected since you already have a masked package
35 > installed.
36 >
37 > I'm actually surprised it didn't try to downgrade gtk+ to an older
38 > version, unless something else needs the installed version. Or unless
39 > you have it unmasked someplace else.
40
41 Ahhh, that was the secret, I had a huge unmask file originally for
42 gnome -- a much older version and there it was, >gtk+3.21 .
43
44 Thanks a lot for your help and I will now see if it behaves better.
45
46 And yep, it is now working as expected.
49 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
50 How do
51 you spend it?
52
53 John Covici wb2una