From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] how to prevent portage from installing masked package
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2018 23:12:00
1 On Sat, Oct 6, 2018 at 4:29 PM John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Sat, 06 Oct 2018 14:55:53 -0400,
4 > Rich Freeman wrote:
5 > >
6 > > On Sat, Oct 6, 2018 at 2:04 PM John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com> wrote:
7 > > >
8 > > > So, I have not been able to figure this out, it did not abort and
9 > > > wants to install the masked package, so hear is the whole output ---
10 > > > thanks for all your help.
11 > > >
12 > >
13 > > What is the actual package.mask set to? Does the same mask cover both
14 > > the installed and upgraded version of gtk+? It seems odd to me that
15 > > emerge would even offer the option to continue if a package was
16 > > masked. You might want to check with the portage team.
17 >
18 > The line in my /etc/portage/package.mask says
19 > >x11-libs/gtk+-3.22.30
20
21 Are you sure you don't have it also unmasked in package.unmask or similar?
22
23 It looks like the version you already have installed is masked. So,
24 perhaps portage doesn't consider upgrading from an already-installed
25 masked version to a newer masked version a problem.
28 > How do I get in touch with the portage team?
29
30 Well, aside from pinging on IRC you could file a bug. I'm not sure if
31 it is behaving as expected since you already have a masked package
32 installed.
33
34 I'm actually surprised it didn't try to downgrade gtk+ to an older
35 version, unless something else needs the installed version. Or unless
36 you have it unmasked someplace else.
39 Rich