From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: homemade nas setup
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 01:30:29
1 Matt Harrison <iwasinnamuknow@×××××××××.com> writes:
2
3 > I know its a little OT, but I have to mention ZFS. It'll mean running
4 > Solaris or FreeBSD in order to get the best out of it, but it's worth
5 > it.
6 >
7 > I changed my fileserver from a gentoo box with software raid and lvm
8 > over to ZFS on OpenSolaris and I haven't looked back. Gentoo is still
9 > my main OS but I think you just can't beat ZFS for a filer.
10
11 Matt, I'm interested in quizzing you further on this so will ask the
12 main question here. But, if you don't mind I'd like to talk to you
13 off list at more length. Maybe a few pointer getting Opensolaris
14 setup with the ZFS or the like.
15
16 Are you backing up any windows boxes onto the ZFS? Is it just a matter
17 of making it available by way of samba/cifs?
18
19 Your list email address looks like it might be a phony (I didn't try
20 it) but mine isn't so if you don't mind the personal contact please
21 let me know and I'll write direct.