From: Matt Harrison <iwasinnamuknow@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: homemade nas setup
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 08:37:03
1 Harry Putnam wrote:
2 > Matt Harrison <iwasinnamuknow@×××××××××.com> writes:
3 >
4 >> I know its a little OT, but I have to mention ZFS. It'll mean running
5 >> Solaris or FreeBSD in order to get the best out of it, but it's worth
6 >> it.
7 >>
8 >> I changed my fileserver from a gentoo box with software raid and lvm
9 >> over to ZFS on OpenSolaris and I haven't looked back. Gentoo is still
10 >> my main OS but I think you just can't beat ZFS for a filer.
11 >
12 > Matt, I'm interested in quizzing you further on this so will ask the
13 > main question here. But, if you don't mind I'd like to talk to you
14 > off list at more length. Maybe a few pointer getting Opensolaris
15 > setup with the ZFS or the like.
16 >
17 > Are you backing up any windows boxes onto the ZFS? Is it just a matter
18 > of making it available by way of samba/cifs?
19
20 I'm using it for both attached storage via ISCSI, and standard sharing
21 on a domain via cifs. I've got backups running from linux and windows
22 boxes onto it.
23
24 > Your list email address looks like it might be a phony (I didn't try
25 > it) but mine isn't so if you don't mind the personal contact please
26 > let me know and I'll write direct.
27
28 Well I didn't realise my address looked fake :P It is real and I'd be
29 happy to try and answer your questions to the best of my ability.
30
31 Matt