From: gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] libav and ffmpeg on the same computer issue once again
Date: Sat, 16 May 2015 10:19:34
1 2015-05-16 13:10 GMT+03:00 gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>:
2 > 2015-05-16 11:55 GMT+03:00 Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>:
3 >> On Saturday 16 May 2015 09:26:14 gevisz wrote:
4 >>> 2015-05-16 10:51 GMT+03:00 gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>:
5 >>
6 >>> > So, if I get no better suggestions, I will enable abi_x86_32
7 >>> > globally and try to update the world once more.
8 >>>
9 >>> Lukily, this approach worked out. Currently I am updating and recompiling
10 >>> 199 packages but the blockers disappeared.
11 >>>
12 >>> > If that will not work, I will remove the libav USE flag from
13 >>> > /etc/portage/make.conf and try to update the world for the last
14 >>> > time.
15 >>>
16 >>> Now, when everything ended well, I can accept that by the phrase
17 >>> "to update the world for the last time" above I meant that I was going
18 >>> to switch to other Linux distribution if this issue with
19 >>> ffmpeg-libav-multilib could not be solved in an elegant way, that is,
20 >>> without poking with every single package, which is really ugly.
21 >>>
22 >>> Luckily, everything ended well and I am happy to stay with Gentoo,
23 >>> but I should mention that, having such issues with multilib profile,
24 >>> enabling abi_x86_32 on per package base really should be unrecommended
25 >>> way to maintain the system and users should be warned about it.
26 >>
27 >> I'm afraid I cannot agree with you on this. On older PCs I would rather did
28 >> not have to install abi_x86_32 for packages that I don't need to. The
29 >> granular approach suits me better and also aligns better with the light-footed
30 >> Gentoo approach.
31 >
32 > With this "light-footed approach" I had about two full-screen rubbish
33 > in my /etc/portage/make.conf file and kept adding on almost every update.
34
35 Correction: in /etc/portage/package.use
36
37 >> I think had you followed my suggestion you could have found that
38 >> by remerging half a dozen packages at most, your conflict would
39 >> have been resolved.
40 >
41 > I think so, but this is what I call ugly.
42 >
43 >> Either way you got a result, so whatever works. :-)
44 >
45 > Yes, thank you.