From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Has semantic-desktop really become compulsatory for kmail?
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 12:14:42
1 On Donnerstag 11 Februar 2010, Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 01:17:07AM +0000, Stroller wrote
3 >
4 > > I cannot for a moment believe that you (Roy) can organise your files
5 > > so that you can find them easier than typing a search term & clicking
6 > > on the correct result. You just don't want to try it because your
7 > > current methods are "good enough" for you, but this isn't good grounds
8 > > on which to complain about KDE moving on with their development of a
9 > > state-of-the-art desktop which will actually make life easier for
10 > > millions of other people (people who aren't afraid to try it).
11 >
12 > Yes, I can organize my files to the point where I rarely ever use
13 > find. Just because you can't, is not a reason to slow down everybody
14 > else's desktop. And if I really wanted a glitzy, bloated,
15 > slow-as-molasses, pointy-clicky-touchy-feely-oowee-GUI, I would've
16 > stayed with Windows, thank you. I started with Blckbox and am now on
17 > ICEWM.
18 >
19 > I have to put up with Windows at work and one of the first things I do
20 > with a new machine is to turn off indexing. It noticeably, speeds up
21 > the system. I'll take the rare occasional long search versus continuous
22 > disk-thrashing, thank you.
25 again. You are talking about stuff you do know nothing about. Semantic desktop
26 is not a MUST. You can turn it off.
27 Second, even if you use it the impact on performance is negligble. updatedb
28 running over your harddisks does a lot more damage than nepomuk - with the
29 additional bonus that nepomuk only indexes once.
30
31 But again, you can turn it off with a single mouse click. So what again ist
32 your problem? Besides that it is new?