From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] --depclean wants to remove openrc. Yikes!
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2021 22:03:42
1 On Sun, 25 Jul 2021 17:25:17 +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
2
3 > The number of people who would lose their systems by this mechanism is
4 > likely very small, but that loss would probably involve a
5 > re-installation. I mean all a victim has to go on is the fact that his
6 > machine won't boot, combined with a memory of having run emerge
7 > --depclean the night before.
8
9 So boot into busybox or a rescue disk, look in emerge.log to see what
10 changed and undo it. I think a "Can't find init" message would be fairly
11 easy to understand.
12
13 > > It seems that Rich's suggestion has the most merit, add a USE flag to
14 > > daemontools to indicate that it is intended to be your service
15 > > manager, and have the virtual require that flag. Yes, it would
16 > > require a one-off rebuild of daemontools for everyone with it
17 > > installed, but the potential for breakage would be removed.
18 >
19 > Another idea I had today is to have two packages, daemontools and
20 > daemontools-init, which would be identical, apart from the fact that
21 > only the second of these would satisfy virtual/service-manager.
22
23 See below.
24
25 > I can't help feeling that maybe portage has become too complicated.
26
27 See above.
28
29 Actually, this has little to do with portage, which s doing exactly what
30 you told it to do - remove all unnecessary/unwanted packages. The problem
31 is in your configuration that tells portage that openrc is not needed. If
32 you want a simple, clean and reasonably permanent solution that doesn't
33 involve putting openrc in @world, copy the virtual to your local overlay
34 and remove the daemontools dependency.
38 Neil Bothwick
39
40 Bus: (n.) a connector you plug money into, something like a slot machine.