From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] --depclean wants to remove openrc. Yikes!
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2021 17:25:26
1 Hello, Neil.
2
3 On Sun, Jul 25, 2021 at 16:40:23 +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote:
4 > On Sun, 25 Jul 2021 13:43:46 +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
5
6 > > > It may be critical for *your* system ... :-)
7
8 > > Just as systemd is for your system. If you'd installed daemontools you
9 > > would also have come within a keystroke of destroying your system, just
10 > > as I did, on attempting emerge --depclean. You would have received no
11 > > warning of any kind on installing the package, and there would be no
12 > > documentation brought to your attention about the potential catastrophe.
13
14 > This is a valid point, that appears to have been obscured by some of the
15 > discussions about the cause. As to whether it would render the system
16 > unbootable, I have no idea, would daemontools have taken care of that.
17
18 And this is the main point of my complaint - the surprise, the shock, and
19 the innocence (as in opposite of guilty, not of wordly-wise) of the
20 victims. They have done nothing but installing a package in the normal
21 way. daemontools can only boot a system if it's been configured to do
22 so. That involves writing entries into /etc/inittab.
23
24 The number of people who would lose their systems by this mechanism is
25 likely very small, but that loss would probably involve a
26 re-installation. I mean all a victim has to go on is the fact that his
27 machine won't boot, combined with a memory of having run emerge
28 --depclean the night before.
29
30 My guess (for which I have little basis) would be that daemontools is
31 used more as part of the various qmail variants rather than as the prime
32 init system. I don't recall anybody on this list using d. rather than o.
33 or s. as their main init system. In fact, I wasn't even aware it was
34 possible, before looking it up on Wikipedia this afternoon.
35
36 > It seems that Rich's suggestion has the most merit, add a USE flag to
37 > daemontools to indicate that it is intended to be your service manager,
38 > and have the virtual require that flag. Yes, it would require a
39 > one-off rebuild of daemontools for everyone with it installed, but the
40 > potential for breakage would be removed.
41
42 Another idea I had today is to have two packages, daemontools and
43 daemontools-init, which would be identical, apart from the fact that only
44 the second of these would satisfy virtual/service-manager.
45
46 > If I had to allocate blame for this, I would say it is the virtual that
47 > is the cause of the problem. With the current setup, unmerging openrc is
48 > the only way for depclean to deal with it when you have daemontools in
49 > @world.
50
51 I can't help feeling that maybe portage has become too complicated.
52
53 > --
54 > Neil Bothwick
55
56 > Top Oxymorons Number 41: Good grief
59 Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).