From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] --depclean wants to remove openrc. Yikes!
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2021 15:40:38
1 On Sun, 25 Jul 2021 13:43:46 +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
2
3 > > It may be critical for *your* system ... :-)
4 >
5 > Just as systemd is for your system. If you'd installed daemontools you
6 > would also have come within a keystroke of destroying your system, just
7 > as I did, on attempting emerge --depclean. You would have received no
8 > warning of any kind on installing the package, and there would be no
9 > documentation brought to your attention about the potential catastrophe.
10
11 This is a valid point, that appears to have been obscured by some of the
12 discussions about the cause. As to whether it would render the system
13 unbootable, I have no idea, would daemontools have taken care of that.
14
15 It seems that Rich's suggestion has the most merit, add a USE flag to
16 daemontools to indicate that it is intended to be your service manager,
17 and have the virtual require that flag. Yes, it would require a
18 one-off rebuild of daemontools for everyone with it installed, but the
19 potential for breakage would be removed.
20
21 If I had to allocate blame for this, I would say it is the virtual that
22 is the cause of the problem. With the current setup, unmerging openrc is
23 the only way for depclean to deal with it when you have daemontools in
24 @world.
28 Neil Bothwick
29
30 Top Oxymorons Number 41: Good grief