From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} open-source: chat, tasks, resources, code
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 21:32:48
1 On Thu, 20 Dec 2012 13:02:46 -0800
2 Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > >> I should have specified that the people in the organization are
5 > >> spread out in different locations.
6 > >>
7 > >> It sounds like it is difficult/dangerous to run an internet-facing
8 > >> IRC server and ejabberd is unstable?
9 > >
10 > > This is what VPNs are for. I haven't really heard anything seriously
11 > > problematic about ejabberd outside of some folks dislike of adding
12 > > another language runtime.
13 > >
14 > > Whatever you decide to run internally, you're going to need to
15 > > become knowledgeable in its administration. This is why a fair
16 > > amount of folks are outsourcing communications infrastructure. Few
17 > > believe they have the time to learn to manage the thing properly.
18 >
19 > Is ejabberd difficult to run over the internet safely?
20
21 Not especially difficult. It's just another daemon that runs and does
22 things much like classic daemons do. It listens to one port and doesn't
23 do anything weird or funky.
24
25 To make it safe, you just follow regular guidelines about security,
26 firewalls etc. Your job is *much* easier if you intend to run a closed
27 server used only by users you create, which is what you intend if I
28 read it right.
32 Alan McKinnon
33 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com