From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: xorg-server mouse and keyboard woes
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 15:59:00
1 Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
2 > On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 4:55 AM, Philip Webb<purslow@××××××××.net> wrote:
3 >
4 >> 090709 Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
5 >>
6 >>>> On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 8:51 PM, Dale<rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
7 >>>>
8 >>>>> If all else fails:
9 >>>>> x11-base/xorg-server -hal
10 >>>>>
11 >>>> Is there any other advice?
12 >>>>
13 >>> A new HAL made no difference. Sigh.
14 >>>
15 >> I ran into this twice, first on my frontline machine, then on the stand-by.
16 >> The solution was 'USE="-hal" emerge xorg-server', then remerge all drivers.
17 >> There was a Gentoo help doc re it, which gave this as the simplest option.
18 >>
19 >> 'evdev' is a separate matter: you need to include it in your kernel,
20 >> than you can simplify your drivers.
21 >>
22 >> HTH
25 > Evdev has been included in my kernels throughout this mess. It hasn't
26 > helped. The Gentoo doc on the upgrade was a bit scetchy about
27 > configuring HAL; now that I find that disabling HAL in xorg is the
28 > solution, I suspect that the underlying problem is HAL configuration.
29 > After all, there's nothing at all special about my mouse or keyboard.
30 >
31 > Why should we have to configure HAL manually? Since the stone ages,
32 > Linux installations have determined what keyboard we have and have set
33 > things up for us. How different can PS/2 or USB mice be?
34 >
35 > SO: if anyone succeeded with xorg and HAL, with a USA keyboard and a
36 > wheel mouse, would please tell me about their HAL config, I'd sure
37 > love to see it.
38 >
39 > ++ kevin
43 Same here. I have a old keyboard that has been around for a loooong
44 time. It's a Dell Quietkey. My mouse is a decent Logitech that cost
45 about $20.00 or so a few years ago. It worked with Mandrake and Gentoo
46 all this time then someone comes up with a mouse trap that don't like it.
47
48 I'm with you.
49
50 Dale