From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: xorg-server mouse and keyboard woes
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 15:43:46
1 On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 4:55 AM, Philip Webb<purslow@××××××××.net> wrote:
2 > 090709 Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
3 >>> On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 8:51 PM, Dale<rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>>> If all else fails:
5 >>>> x11-base/xorg-server  -hal
6 >>> Is there any other advice?
7 >> A new HAL made no difference.  Sigh.
8 >
9 > I ran into this twice, first on my frontline machine, then on the stand-by.
10 > The solution was 'USE="-hal" emerge xorg-server', then remerge all drivers.
11 > There was a Gentoo help doc re it, which gave this as the simplest option.
12 >
13 > 'evdev' is a separate matter: you need to include it in your kernel,
14 > than you can simplify your drivers.
15 >
16 > HTH
17
18 Evdev has been included in my kernels throughout this mess. It hasn't
19 helped. The Gentoo doc on the upgrade was a bit scetchy about
20 configuring HAL; now that I find that disabling HAL in xorg is the
21 solution, I suspect that the underlying problem is HAL configuration.
22 After all, there's nothing at all special about my mouse or keyboard.
23
24 Why should we have to configure HAL manually? Since the stone ages,
25 Linux installations have determined what keyboard we have and have set
26 things up for us. How different can PS/2 or USB mice be?
27
28 SO: if anyone succeeded with xorg and HAL, with a USA keyboard and a
29 wheel mouse, would please tell me about their HAL config, I'd sure
30 love to see it.
31
32 ++ kevin
35 Kevin O'Gorman, PhD