From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I am a "f*****g retard". Can you help me?
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 19:57:01
1 On Tuesday 16 September 2008 21:46:13 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 21:26:31 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > > Since the best solution to this exception is to finish that part of
4 > > > the task which is not influenced by this error, I think the
5 > > > expectation for this exception is clear.
6 > >
7 > > "Which is not influenced" - this is the crucial clause, the one that is
8 > > fraught with error. Who is to say what "not influenced" actually means?
9 > > A complete lack of any related dependencies is one workable way to
10 > > scope it. It happens often enough that it's worth the effort to
11 > > accommodate it.
12 >
13 > Isn't that exactly what --keep-going does, skips and packages that
14 > depends on the failed package and merge the rest?
15
16 Yes, it does. The focus of my post was to highlight that it can be done, but
17 is best done as an option, not as default.
18
19 This thread is getting a tad complex, it's getting hard to tell if a specific
20 post is talking about if --keep-going is even a good idea at all, or if it
21 should be an option/default...
24 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com