From: Jacques Montier <jmontier@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] news 2021-01-30-display-manager-init -- blocked package
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2021 14:57:06
1 Le dim. 31 janv. 2021 à 11:45, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> a écrit :
2
3 > On Sat, 30 Jan 2021 23:01:42 -0500, Kusoneko wrote:
4 >
5 > > Following my daily syncing today, 2 news items appeared,
6 > > the important one for this being the following:
7 > >
8 > > 2021-01-30-display-manager-init
9 > >
10 > > It states that starting the next xorg-server version,
11 > > the xdm init script will be removed and that one
12 > > install gui-libs/display-manager-init to replace it.
13 > > Following the instructions to install said package
14 > > leads to a wonderful error stating that the package
15 > > is blocked by the following packages:
16 > >
17 > > x11-apps/xinit-1.4.1
18 > > sys-apps/sysvinit-2.98
19 > > x11-base/xorg-server-1.20.10
20 > >
21 > > Removing xorg-server is not gonna happen, so
22 > > looking at what emerge says, there's a bit of an
23 > > issue here:
24 > >
25 > > https://zifb.in/GUtgto4VcX
26 > >
27 > > Doing the required update is currently impossible.
28 > >
29 > > I am definitely not gonna remember about this
30 > > in a week or 2 so I'd like to deal with whatever
31 > > this issue is asap. Is there any way to do this?
32 >
33 > You could use eselect to mark the news unread.To get
34 >
35 > You cannot use display-manager-init with the current stable xorg-server,
36 > because of this depend
37 >
38 > !<=x11-base/xorg-server-1.20.10
39 >
40 > However, you can use it with the -r1 version, which is currently ~arch.
41 > The differences between the ebuilds relate to the init handling, they
42 > install the same server code, so you have two choices: add -r1 to
43 > package.accept_keywords or wait a couple of weeks and hope you remember.
44 >
45 > The worst that is likely to happen is you forget and boot to a console
46 > one day, at which point you will almost certainly remember :)
49 > --
50 > Neil Bothwick
51 >
52 > Normal people believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers
53 > believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet."
58 Hello all,
59
60 To get display-manager-init built and installed, i had to accept_keywords :
61 xinit, sysvinit and xorg-server.
62 As specified in the news :
63 - changing the DISPLAYMANAGER variable in /etc/conf.d/display-manager
64 (lightdm for me)
65 - rc-update del xdm default
66 - rc-update add display-manager
67 - reboot