From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] news 2021-01-30-display-manager-init -- blocked package
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2021 10:45:45
1 On Sat, 30 Jan 2021 23:01:42 -0500, Kusoneko wrote:
2
3 > Following my daily syncing today, 2 news items appeared,
4 > the important one for this being the following:
5 >
6 > 2021-01-30-display-manager-init
7 >
8 > It states that starting the next xorg-server version,
9 > the xdm init script will be removed and that one
10 > install gui-libs/display-manager-init to replace it.
11 > Following the instructions to install said package
12 > leads to a wonderful error stating that the package
13 > is blocked by the following packages:
14 >
15 > x11-apps/xinit-1.4.1
16 > sys-apps/sysvinit-2.98
17 > x11-base/xorg-server-1.20.10
18 >
19 > Removing xorg-server is not gonna happen, so
20 > looking at what emerge says, there's a bit of an
21 > issue here:
22 >
23 > https://zifb.in/GUtgto4VcX
24 >
25 > Doing the required update is currently impossible.
26 >
27 > I am definitely not gonna remember about this
28 > in a week or 2 so I'd like to deal with whatever
29 > this issue is asap. Is there any way to do this?
30
31 You could use eselect to mark the news unread.
32
33 You cannot use display-manager-init with the current stable xorg-server,
34 because of this depend
35
36 !<=x11-base/xorg-server-1.20.10
37
38 However, you can use it with the -r1 version, which is currently ~arch.
39 The differences between the ebuilds relate to the init handling, they
40 install the same server code, so you have two choices: add -r1 to
41 package.accept_keywords or wait a couple of weeks and hope you remember.
42
43 The worst that is likely to happen is you forget and boot to a console
44 one day, at which point you will almost certainly remember :)
48 Neil Bothwick
49
50 Normal people believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers
51 believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet."