From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New monitor problems. < sighs >
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 10:48:28
1 Helmut Jarausch wrote:
2 > On 12/15/10 10:03:58, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> Helmut Jarausch wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> On 12/15/10 09:40:48, Dale wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>>
9 >>>> Hi again,
10 >>>>
11 >>>> For those mot up to date. I built a new rig that has a Nvidia
12 >>>>
13 >> GT220
14 >>
15 >>>> card in it. I bought a brand new monitor this morning, a LG
16 >>>>
17 >> W2253,
18 >>
19 >>>> and
20 >>>> it worked one time. I had to reboot to move some things around
21 >>>>
22 >> and
23 >>
24 >>>> when
25 >>>> I rebooted, the GUI doesn't come up. The BIOS screen shows up and
26 >>>>
27 >> I
28 >>
29 >>>> can
30 >>>> see the services start up as well but when it switches to vt7, it
31 >>>> just
32 >>>>
33 >>>> has a little blinking cursor at the top.
34 >>>>
35 >>>>
36 >>> Have you changed the kernel? The nvidia-drivers (as well as the
37 >>>
38 >> ati-
39 >>
40 >>> drivers) have to be re-emerged after (nearly) any change to the
41 >>>
42 >> kernel.
43 >>
44 >>> Just re-emerge it, unload and reload the corresponding kernel
45 >>>
46 >> module
47 >>
48 >>> and try again to startx.
49 >>>
50 >>> Helmut.
51 >>>
52 >>>
53 >>>
54 >> Just to make sure I understand you correctly. You mean:
55 >>
56 >> cd /usr/src/linux
57 >> make all&& make modules_install
58 >> then cp the kernel to /boot ?
59 >>
60 >> That I didn't try. I knew if I updated the kernel I had to re-emerge
61 >> the nvidia-drivers but I didn't know it was the other way around too.
64 > No,
65 > just emerge -1 x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers
66 > (while the /usr/src/linux symlink is OK as others have mentioned
67 > already)
68 >
69 > Helmut.
70 > (By the way, my x11-base/xorg-server-1.9.2.902 doesn't use hal anymore)
74 I upgraded to xorg 1.9 to while trying to fix all this mess. It wasn't
75 working before so I don't guess that hurts.
76
77 Dale
78