From: Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New monitor problems. < sighs >
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 09:36:52
1 On 12/15/10 10:03:58, Dale wrote:
2 > Helmut Jarausch wrote:
3 > > On 12/15/10 09:40:48, Dale wrote:
4 > >
5 > >> Hi again,
6 > >>
7 > >> For those mot up to date. I built a new rig that has a Nvidia
8 > GT220
9 > >> card in it. I bought a brand new monitor this morning, a LG
10 > W2253,
11 > >> and
12 > >> it worked one time. I had to reboot to move some things around
13 > and
14 > >> when
15 > >> I rebooted, the GUI doesn't come up. The BIOS screen shows up and
16 > I
17 > >> can
18 > >> see the services start up as well but when it switches to vt7, it
19 > >> just
20 > >>
21 > >> has a little blinking cursor at the top.
22 > >>
23 > > Have you changed the kernel? The nvidia-drivers (as well as the
24 > ati-
25 > > drivers) have to be re-emerged after (nearly) any change to the
26 > kernel.
27 > > Just re-emerge it, unload and reload the corresponding kernel
28 > module
29 > > and try again to startx.
30 > >
31 > > Helmut.
35 > Just to make sure I understand you correctly. You mean:
36 >
37 > cd /usr/src/linux
38 > make all && make modules_install
39 > then cp the kernel to /boot ?
40 >
41 > That I didn't try. I knew if I updated the kernel I had to re-emerge
42 > the nvidia-drivers but I didn't know it was the other way around too.
45 No,
46 just emerge -1 x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers
47 (while the /usr/src/linux symlink is OK as others have mentioned
48 already)
49
50 Helmut.
51 (By the way, my x11-base/xorg-server-1.9.2.902 doesn't use hal anymore)