From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] sddm-helper and high memory usage
Date: Sat, 16 May 2020 12:32:42
1 Dale wrote:
2 >
3 > I guess the bug was caught and fixed.  Thanks to all that read and
4 > Michael for trying to help.
5 >
6 > Dale
7 >
8 > :-)  :-)
11 I have some more info and some doesn't make much sense.  I thought this
12 might be fixed but guess not.  While it is somewhat slower to take up a
13 lot of memory after a recent plasma update, it does still get there.  It
14 takes a day or so now where before it was just a few hours.  Logging out
15 and back in does reset it to normal tho.
16
17 One thing that seems to stand out, Firefox and one profile in
18 particular.  I have two profiles that I use a lot nowadays.  One is for
19 ebay, Amazon, tracking shipments etc etc.  The other is where I do
20 youtube and other video type sites.  It has a video download helper
21 add-on installed but the rest is mostly the same.  When I have the first
22 profile open, it is slow to consume memory.  When I open the one I use
23 for videos, it starts building up faster.  While I can logout and back
24 in daily, it still gets to around 5% or so.  I usually start planning to
25 logout and back in when it hits 4% or so.  It's at 5 by the time I get
26 everything to where I can.  Thing is, closing Firefox doesn't seem to
27 have any effect on it.  It slows down some but doesn't get back to
28 normal memory usage.  I can't quite figure out how Firefox can have a
29 effect on it tho.  I realize it is running within the GUI and all but
30 still, it doesn't make much sense.
31
32 I do a emerge -e system and world the other day in my chroot.  Once
33 done, I did a complete re-emerge on my running system.  All was done
34 with the same gcc, 9.3.  I'm not sure it did any good but at least it
35 rules out some sort of mismatch with different packages running with
36 different gcc versions.  It also rules out and sort of broken linkages
37 and other mismatches as well.  I've also updated kernels and video
38 drivers with no change.  I also disabled my background slideshow to see
39 if it was causing this, no change.  When I was doing my emerge system
40 and world, I had Firefox and at times Seamonkey closed and it stayed
41 within reason at least.  It would get up to around 2% but seemed to stay
42 there.  I'm not sure what to look for or even for sure what is exactly
43 the trigger for this problem.  It seems Firefox affects it but not sure
44 why that is exactly.
45
46 If anyone has ideas, I'm open to them.  I can't think of anything else
47 to try at the moment.
48
49 Dale
50