From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] sddm-helper and high memory usage
Date: Sat, 16 May 2020 14:55:59
1 On Saturday, 16 May 2020 13:32:32 BST Dale wrote:
2 > Dale wrote:
3 > > I guess the bug was caught and fixed. Thanks to all that read and
4 > > Michael for trying to help.
5 > >
6 > > Dale
7 > >
8 > > :-) :-)
9 >
10 > I have some more info and some doesn't make much sense. I thought this
11 > might be fixed but guess not. While it is somewhat slower to take up a
12 > lot of memory after a recent plasma update, it does still get there. It
13 > takes a day or so now where before it was just a few hours. Logging out
14 > and back in does reset it to normal tho.
15 >
16 > One thing that seems to stand out, Firefox and one profile in
17 > particular. I have two profiles that I use a lot nowadays. One is for
18 > ebay, Amazon, tracking shipments etc etc. The other is where I do
19 > youtube and other video type sites. It has a video download helper
20 > add-on installed but the rest is mostly the same. When I have the first
21 > profile open, it is slow to consume memory. When I open the one I use
22 > for videos, it starts building up faster. While I can logout and back
23 > in daily, it still gets to around 5% or so. I usually start planning to
24 > logout and back in when it hits 4% or so. It's at 5 by the time I get
25 > everything to where I can. Thing is, closing Firefox doesn't seem to
26 > have any effect on it. It slows down some but doesn't get back to
27 > normal memory usage. I can't quite figure out how Firefox can have a
28 > effect on it tho. I realize it is running within the GUI and all but
29 > still, it doesn't make much sense.
30 >
31 > I do a emerge -e system and world the other day in my chroot. Once
32 > done, I did a complete re-emerge on my running system. All was done
33 > with the same gcc, 9.3. I'm not sure it did any good but at least it
34 > rules out some sort of mismatch with different packages running with
35 > different gcc versions. It also rules out and sort of broken linkages
36 > and other mismatches as well. I've also updated kernels and video
37 > drivers with no change. I also disabled my background slideshow to see
38 > if it was causing this, no change. When I was doing my emerge system
39 > and world, I had Firefox and at times Seamonkey closed and it stayed
40 > within reason at least. It would get up to around 2% but seemed to stay
41 > there. I'm not sure what to look for or even for sure what is exactly
42 > the trigger for this problem. It seems Firefox affects it but not sure
43 > why that is exactly.
44 >
45 > If anyone has ideas, I'm open to them. I can't think of anything else
46 > to try at the moment.
47 >
48 > Dale
49 >
50 > :-) :-)
53 Just an idea:
54
55 Log out/in, check memory usage is normal. If not log out, restart /etc/
56 init.d/xdm and login again. Start FF without any addons. Use a new profile
57 if necessary. Check memory usage. If after a while under normal use you
58 still have reasonable levels of memory usage, then you can start adding one
59 add-on at a time and see where that gets you.
60
61 You may also want to give youtube-dl a spin. I know, it's not a FF-GUI video
62 download tool, but it works without getting in the way or eating up RAM
63 unnecessarily.