From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] sddm-helper and high memory usage
Date: Sat, 16 May 2020 22:09:29
1 Michael wrote:
2 > On Saturday, 16 May 2020 13:32:32 BST Dale wrote:
3 >> Dale wrote:
4 >>> I guess the bug was caught and fixed. Thanks to all that read and
5 >>> Michael for trying to help.
6 >>>
7 >>> Dale
8 >>>
9 >>> :-) :-)
10 >> I have some more info and some doesn't make much sense. I thought this
11 >> might be fixed but guess not. While it is somewhat slower to take up a
12 >> lot of memory after a recent plasma update, it does still get there. It
13 >> takes a day or so now where before it was just a few hours. Logging out
14 >> and back in does reset it to normal tho.
15 >>
16 >> One thing that seems to stand out, Firefox and one profile in
17 >> particular. I have two profiles that I use a lot nowadays. One is for
18 >> ebay, Amazon, tracking shipments etc etc. The other is where I do
19 >> youtube and other video type sites. It has a video download helper
20 >> add-on installed but the rest is mostly the same. When I have the first
21 >> profile open, it is slow to consume memory. When I open the one I use
22 >> for videos, it starts building up faster. While I can logout and back
23 >> in daily, it still gets to around 5% or so. I usually start planning to
24 >> logout and back in when it hits 4% or so. It's at 5 by the time I get
25 >> everything to where I can. Thing is, closing Firefox doesn't seem to
26 >> have any effect on it. It slows down some but doesn't get back to
27 >> normal memory usage. I can't quite figure out how Firefox can have a
28 >> effect on it tho. I realize it is running within the GUI and all but
29 >> still, it doesn't make much sense.
30 >>
31 >> I do a emerge -e system and world the other day in my chroot. Once
32 >> done, I did a complete re-emerge on my running system. All was done
33 >> with the same gcc, 9.3. I'm not sure it did any good but at least it
34 >> rules out some sort of mismatch with different packages running with
35 >> different gcc versions. It also rules out and sort of broken linkages
36 >> and other mismatches as well. I've also updated kernels and video
37 >> drivers with no change. I also disabled my background slideshow to see
38 >> if it was causing this, no change. When I was doing my emerge system
39 >> and world, I had Firefox and at times Seamonkey closed and it stayed
40 >> within reason at least. It would get up to around 2% but seemed to stay
41 >> there. I'm not sure what to look for or even for sure what is exactly
42 >> the trigger for this problem. It seems Firefox affects it but not sure
43 >> why that is exactly.
44 >>
45 >> If anyone has ideas, I'm open to them. I can't think of anything else
46 >> to try at the moment.
47 >>
48 >> Dale
49 >>
50 >> :-) :-)
51 >
52 > Just an idea:
53 >
54 > Log out/in, check memory usage is normal. If not log out, restart /etc/
55 > init.d/xdm and login again. Start FF without any addons. Use a new profile
56 > if necessary. Check memory usage. If after a while under normal use you
57 > still have reasonable levels of memory usage, then you can start adding one
58 > add-on at a time and see where that gets you.
59 >
60 > You may also want to give youtube-dl a spin. I know, it's not a FF-GUI video
61 > download tool, but it works without getting in the way or eating up RAM
62 > unnecessarily.
63
64 I have a test Firefox profile that has very few if any add-ons
65 installed.  I sometimes use it to test problems.  Anyway, I suspect the
66 video download add-on myself.  Ever since the big change with add-ons
67 and multi-process support, the video add-on has had issues.  I've had
68 crashes, excessive memory usage by Firefox itself etc etc.  For the most
69 part, the video add-on works but it is not like it was with the older
70 versions of Firefox.  While sddm-helper does use more memory even
71 without Firefox, it just gets much worse with it.
72
73 I have and use youtube-dl.  I use it for youtube and a couple other
74 sites that it works with.  Thing is, some sites don't work with
75 youtube-dl.  It tries but it reports some sort of error, error varies
76 from site to site, and then stops.  I wish it would work because it is
77 drop dead easy to use once you get it configured.  I've got mine set up
78 pretty well.  It will try to get 1280x720 but no larger if available.
79 For what I do 99% of the time, that works very well.  File size is
80 manageable but has a good resolution.  Of course some older videos are
81 480 or something but still, I like the tool.
82
83 I see another KDE upgrade being released.  It is a plasma update so
84 hopefully it will hit the tree by Sunday.  Maybe it will have a fix or
85 something.  In the meantime, I'll keep observing and trying things to
86 see if I can figure out what is going on.  It's confusing tho.
87
88 Thanks.  Will try to the test profile shortly.  I'm at 6% or so right
89 now.  Time for a reset anyway.
90
91 Dale
92