From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] sddm-helper and high memory usage
Date: Wed, 20 May 2020 13:17:43
1 On Sunday, May 17, 2020 12:09:19 AM CEST Dale wrote:
2 > Michael wrote:
3 > > On Saturday, 16 May 2020 13:32:32 BST Dale wrote:
4 > >> Dale wrote:
5 > >>> I guess the bug was caught and fixed. Thanks to all that read and
6 > >>> Michael for trying to help.
7 > >>>
8 > >>> Dale
9 > >>>
10 > >>> :-) :-)
11 > >>
12 > >> I have some more info and some doesn't make much sense. I thought this
13 > >> might be fixed but guess not. While it is somewhat slower to take up a
14 > >> lot of memory after a recent plasma update, it does still get there. It
15 > >> takes a day or so now where before it was just a few hours. Logging out
16 > >> and back in does reset it to normal tho.
17 > >>
18 > >> One thing that seems to stand out, Firefox and one profile in
19 > >> particular. I have two profiles that I use a lot nowadays. One is for
20 > >> ebay, Amazon, tracking shipments etc etc. The other is where I do
21 > >> youtube and other video type sites. It has a video download helper
22 > >> add-on installed but the rest is mostly the same. When I have the first
23 > >> profile open, it is slow to consume memory. When I open the one I use
24 > >> for videos, it starts building up faster. While I can logout and back
25 > >> in daily, it still gets to around 5% or so. I usually start planning to
26 > >> logout and back in when it hits 4% or so. It's at 5 by the time I get
27 > >> everything to where I can. Thing is, closing Firefox doesn't seem to
28 > >> have any effect on it. It slows down some but doesn't get back to
29 > >> normal memory usage. I can't quite figure out how Firefox can have a
30 > >> effect on it tho. I realize it is running within the GUI and all but
31 > >> still, it doesn't make much sense.
32 > >>
33 > >> I do a emerge -e system and world the other day in my chroot. Once
34 > >> done, I did a complete re-emerge on my running system. All was done
35 > >> with the same gcc, 9.3. I'm not sure it did any good but at least it
36 > >> rules out some sort of mismatch with different packages running with
37 > >> different gcc versions. It also rules out and sort of broken linkages
38 > >> and other mismatches as well. I've also updated kernels and video
39 > >> drivers with no change. I also disabled my background slideshow to see
40 > >> if it was causing this, no change. When I was doing my emerge system
41 > >> and world, I had Firefox and at times Seamonkey closed and it stayed
42 > >> within reason at least. It would get up to around 2% but seemed to stay
43 > >> there. I'm not sure what to look for or even for sure what is exactly
44 > >> the trigger for this problem. It seems Firefox affects it but not sure
45 > >> why that is exactly.
46 > >>
47 > >> If anyone has ideas, I'm open to them. I can't think of anything else
48 > >> to try at the moment.
49 > >>
50 > >> Dale
51 > >>
52 > >> :-) :-)
53 > >
54 > > Just an idea:
55 > >
56 > > Log out/in, check memory usage is normal. If not log out, restart /etc/
57 > > init.d/xdm and login again. Start FF without any addons. Use a new
58 > > profile if necessary. Check memory usage. If after a while under normal
59 > > use you still have reasonable levels of memory usage, then you can start
60 > > adding one add-on at a time and see where that gets you.
61 > >
62 > > You may also want to give youtube-dl a spin. I know, it's not a FF-GUI
63 > > video download tool, but it works without getting in the way or eating up
64 > > RAM unnecessarily.
65 >
66 > I have a test Firefox profile that has very few if any add-ons
67 > installed. I sometimes use it to test problems. Anyway, I suspect the
68 > video download add-on myself. Ever since the big change with add-ons
69 > and multi-process support, the video add-on has had issues. I've had
70 > crashes, excessive memory usage by Firefox itself etc etc. For the most
71 > part, the video add-on works but it is not like it was with the older
72 > versions of Firefox. While sddm-helper does use more memory even
73 > without Firefox, it just gets much worse with it.
74 >
75 > I have and use youtube-dl. I use it for youtube and a couple other
76 > sites that it works with. Thing is, some sites don't work with
77 > youtube-dl. It tries but it reports some sort of error, error varies
78 > from site to site, and then stops. I wish it would work because it is
79 > drop dead easy to use once you get it configured. I've got mine set up
80 > pretty well. It will try to get 1280x720 but no larger if available.
81 > For what I do 99% of the time, that works very well. File size is
82 > manageable but has a good resolution. Of course some older videos are
83 > 480 or something but still, I like the tool.
84 >
85 > I see another KDE upgrade being released. It is a plasma update so
86 > hopefully it will hit the tree by Sunday. Maybe it will have a fix or
87 > something. In the meantime, I'll keep observing and trying things to
88 > see if I can figure out what is going on. It's confusing tho.
89 >
90 > Thanks. Will try to the test profile shortly. I'm at 6% or so right
91 > now. Time for a reset anyway.
92
93 Dale,
94
95 The few times I have issues with "sddm-helper" is when I resume my laptop from
96 hibernate. (Not always, but occasionally)
97 The issue I see is 100% CPU-usage and a black X-display. I can switch to
98 console (CTRL+ALT+F1), login as root and kill the offending sddm-helper.
99 It gets restarted automatically and I see no issue.
100
101 Do you tend to lock your screen a lot? As it might be related to screensavers.
102 (I have a simple static lock-screen, nothing remotely fancy)
103
104 Also, you can try killing "kill -9 sddm-helper" when it goes up and see what
105 happens next.
106
107 Is there anything in the sddm-logs?
108 Mine, for some reason, writes to /var/log/sddm.log
109
110 Do you have anything special in your Xsession files and/or profiles (incl.
111 bash_profile and bashrc) that is non-default?
112
113 Which login-theme do you use?
116 Joost