From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] bash completion for paths not working
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 13:01:15
1 Mark Knecht schreef:
2 > Hi, On one machine of mine, and only one machine, bash completion is
3 > not working for my user account when I try to complete a path. I hit
4 > tab and nothing happens. Bash completion is working for files though.
5 > I can do bash completion in my home directory and get a list of
6 > files, but if I try to complete /usr/sr but hitting a tab it just
7 > sits and does nothing.
8 >
9 > It works fine for root.
10 >
11 > What turns this feature on for a user? I copied a good .bashrc file
12 > from a working machine over and logged back into the bad machine but
13 > that didn't fix it.
14 >
15 > man bash makes it look like it should be on by default.
16 >
17 > Thanks for the unix lesson.
18 >
19 > Cheers, Mark
20
21 Yes, I have a similar problem, but bash-completion doesn't work
22 correctly for anybody (user or su root).
23
24 I uncommented the bash completion command in both ~/.bashrcs long ago,
25 and at first the problem was only for root (which was weird enough); now
26 (what constitutes 'now' as opposed to 'previously' I don't know) if I
27 hit tab when filling in a path or a filename, as you said, nothing
28 happens; if I fill in the rest of the path manually, the file is not
29 found-- because my use of the TAB key has invisibly taken me up one
30 directory (where the file does not exist). When I hit enter, I find that
31 if I had started in /usr/local/src, I am now in /usr/local, for example.
32
33 This occurs under various terminals (aterm, gnome-terminal,
34 multi-gnome-terminal, xterm), although bash-completion fails differently
35 under each of them (which is also weird). I know something has changed,
36 but not what.
37
38 Although.... now that I'm looking into this (which I had not really
39 taken time to do, so I wasn't really 'worrying' about it as I had put
40 this annoyance on my secondary 'to-do/fix' list, despite the fact that
41 it's a major annoyance) I notice that I have both bash-completion and
42 bash-completion-config installed-- and the man
43 page for bash-completion-config says that the config files are in
44 /etc/bashcomp-configrc, if it exists, or $HOME/.bashcomp-configrc, if it
45 exists.
46
47 So at least I probably need to check there first to see if
48 bash-completion has in fact been set, since there is no mention of
49 ~/.bashrc and perhaps those settings are now invalid, or in conflict.
50
51 Something for you to check as well, Mark?
52
53 Holly
54 --
55 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list