From: Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] URGENT: Dead Keyboard after emerge --update world --deep
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2009 20:15:00
1 Zitat von Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs@××××××.de>:
2
3 > Zitat von William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>:
4 >
5 >> On Tue, Oct 06, 2009 at 09:30:29PM +0200, Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
6 >>> Then explain why nox alone always works fine when I use it WITHOUT livecd.
7 >>
8 >> If you are using an older version of xinit, it might work, but it also
9 >> causes you to have to reboot before you can restart X. With the latest
10 >> stable, you will have to use gentoo=nox and it will also allow you to
11 >> restart X after a reboot just by doing /etc/init.d/xdm restart.
12 >
13 > Thanks a lot, didn't know that.
14
15 Interestingly, I just stumbled accross this again, while updating
16 config files. After reading the code, I'd say the above is not correct
17 (at least not on ~x86 with bl2/openrc). Here it works like this:
18
19 There's /etc/init.d/xdm-setup, which checks for "nox" and touches
20 (creates) a flag file /etc/.noxdm. When /etc/.noxdm exists,
21 /etc/init.d/xdm doesn't start the display manager. So it's sufficient
22 to remove the flag file to be able to start X.
23
24 Bye...
25
26 Dirk
27
29 This message was sent using IMP, the Internet Messaging Program.