From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] URGENT: Dead Keyboard after emerge --update world --deep
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2009 21:49:17
1 On Wed, Oct 07, 2009 at 10:14:56PM +0200, Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
2 > Interestingly, I just stumbled accross this again, while updating
3 > config files. After reading the code, I'd say the above is not correct
4 > (at least not on ~x86 with bl2/openrc). Here it works like this:
5 >
6 > There's /etc/init.d/xdm-setup, which checks for "nox" and touches
7 > (creates) a flag file /etc/.noxdm. When /etc/.noxdm exists,
8 > /etc/init.d/xdm doesn't start the display manager. So it's sufficient
9 > to remove the flag file to be able to start X.
10
11 That is correct, in the latest version this is how it works. You
12 shouldn't have to remove the flag file though. It is only supposed to
13 prevent the display manager from starting _once_ when you are booting
14 your system if the gentoo=nox option is on the kernel command line.
15
16 What should happen is, you should be able to start the dm by doing this
17 as root:
18
19 /etc/init.d/xdm restart
22 William Hubbs