From: Jake Moe <jakesaddress@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Booting Gentoo from USB stick
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 00:23:22
1 On 16/09/10 09:04, Al wrote:
2 >> As I'm in an office, there is no concrete nearby for anything to be in.
3 > Lol. Well, there are some other meanings in the latin word concretus.
4 > The didn't even have that bleak modern material. We have a different
5 > name for it in german and use concretus more in the original sense.
6 >
7 >> If you're asking what, specifically, I mean by "it starts", my previous
8 >> posts show how far into the boot process it gets. If I specify by
9 >> /dev/sda1, eventually it gets to checking that partition for errors, but
10 >> fails to find the partition. If I specify by LABEL, then it tells me it
11 > I am still asking myself, if it is the USB stick at all that you see
12 > starting. Couldn't it be a kernel from the inbuild hard disk? ... wich
13 > you would *hear* in that case ... maybe even smell or feel ...
14 >
15 > Hence I ask you if there linux kernel on the first or second partition
16 > of your disk.
17 >
18 > Al
19 >
20 Ah, I see. For this test, I have a second PC that I've unplugged the
21 hard drive from. And it's hard drive currently has a work Windows image
22 on it, anyway, so it's definitely not booting from that. :-)
23
24 I also have finished my new kernel. It now recognizes the root device
25 by label, but still hangs on the fsck. Any more bright ideas? Surely
26 someone has done this already; I can't be the first to try it. Hasn't
27 someone else put a Gentoo install on a USB stick?
28
29 If I'm correct in my assumptions, it sounds as though GRUB and the
30 kernel are seeing it right, but something in the Gentoo init scripts is
31 breaking it. Can anyone even comment if that assumption is correct?
32 I'm not entirely clear on genkernel and the initramfs it provides, and
33 at what step each of these takes effect.
34
35 Jake Moe