From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: writing man pages (gentoo conventions)
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2015 15:21:48
1 On 2015-06-03, Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 03 June 2015 14:24:18 Grant Edwards wrote:
3 >> On 2015-06-03, Martin Vaeth <martin@×××××.de> wrote:
4 >> > James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
5 >> >> So instead of my spew of ascii information files, I'm now composing
6 >> >> 'man pages' mostly using txt2man.
7 >> >
8 >> > If you want to avoid learning *roff, there is also e.g. pod from perl
9 >> > which gives you simple basic markup functionality and can output in
10 >> > man page format (and other format).
11 >>
12 >> asciidoc, markdown, and reStructuredText can all generate man page
13 >> format as well as HTML, PDF, and others. The main benefit of these is
14 >> that they're also easy to read in their "raw" input format (unlike
15 >> roff).
16 >
17 > Isn't there a Gentoo Way too? I can't put my finger on it just now
18 > but I think I've seen a reference to producing Gentoo docs, including
19 > man pages.
20
21 The only thing I know of is GuideXML which is used to generate the
22 user guide:
23
24 https://wwwold.gentoo.org/doc/en/xml-guide.xml
25
26 I'm not aware of it generating anything other than docbook or HTML,
27 but maybe you could use something like this to then convert from
28 docbook to man:
29
30 https://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/tools/dtm/
33 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! I hope something GOOD
34 at came in the mail today so
35 gmail.com I have a REASON to live!!