From: BRM <bm_witness@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LVM for data drives but not the OS
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2011 18:37:09
1 ----- Original Message ----
2
3 > From: J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org>
4 > On Thu, April 7, 2011 7:31 pm, BRM wrote:
5 > > The attraction to LVM for me was that from what I could tell it supported
6 > > and
7 > > implemented a software-RAID
8 > > so that I could help protect from disk-failure. I never got around to
9 > > configuring that side of it, but that was my goal.
10 > > Or are you saying I was misunderstanding and LVM _does not_ contain
11 > > software-RAID support?
12 >
13 > Unless I am mistaken, LVM does not provide redundancy. It provides
14 > disk-spanning (JBOD) and basic striping (RAID-0).
15 >
16 > For redundancy, I would use a proper RAID (either hardware or software).
17 > On top of this, you can then decide to have a single filesystem, LVM or
18 > even partition this.
19 >
20 > I think the confusion might have come from the fact that both LVM and
21 > Linux Software Raid use the "Device Mapper" interface in the kernel config
22 > and they are in the same part.
23 >
24 > Also, part of the problem is that striping is also called RAID-0. That, to
25 > people who don't fully understand it yet, makes it sound like it is a
26 > RAID.
27 > It actually isn't as it doesn't provide any redundancy.
28
29 I think the issue comes from the fact that LVM2 supports Mirroring without an
30 underlying RAID controller:
31
32 http://tinyurl.com/3woh2d7
33 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logical_Volume_Manager_%28Linux%29
34 http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/gentoo/performance/59776
35
36 Which would be a redundancy.
39 > I do hope you didn't loose too much important data when you had this issue.
42 No, I didn't loose any important data (fortunately). If I did, I would have paid
43 for the drive to be recovered; it was mostly portage, var/tmp, some extra
44 sandbox stuff, kind of things.
45
46 Ben